Friday, April 3, 2009

Moody Road Ponds, Imperial, PA. January 4th, 2009

I’ve finally had some time to update this page so here we go.

I had heard through my scouting reports on the PA Birds mailing list that there were some unique species visiting the ponds at Moody Road in Imperial, PA. I made the effort to get out there to see what I could find and if I would be lucky enough to see them. According to the reports, there were four snow geese( two white phase and two blue phase) plus four greater White-Fronted Geese and some Cackling geese at the ponds.





Greater White Front Geese



I arrived before sunrise and was happy to see that all of these geese were there in addition to many Canada Geese. The geese that I was after were over 200 yards away so the pictures weren’t as good as I like but they’ll work for me until I can get better shots of them.



Snow Geese, Note the color differences.


Each of these species is relatively rare for this area of Pennsylvania so I was happy just to see them. Cackling Geese might be a once every few years visitor to the area. They were pretty interesting too. They looked just like a small Canada Goose, roughly the size of a Mallard.

While I was taking my pictures of the Cackling Geese, I noticed something else on the pond, a group of 6 Black Ducks. Again these are a relative rarity for this area.

So based on what I saw and the pictures that I got, even though they weren’t up to snuff, it was a good morning for me.


Cackling Geese, 5 Black Ducks and a Canada Goose thrown in for scale. The cackling geese are in the front.

No comments: