Saturday, July 18, 2009

Bridgewater and North Park, March 7, 2009

I'm back from my hiatus. Yes, I haven't had much time to update this and I'm at least 12 posts behind so let's get started.

I’ve mentioned here before that there was a flock of Canvasbacks and Redheads at the mouth of the Beaver River for most of the winter. I still had the Nikon ED50 Fieldscope so I decided to take a little ride this morning to see if I could get some shots of them with this loaner scope.



When I got to the Bridgewater area I was surprised to find that there were quite a large number of Scaup, both Lesser and Greater, in the water as well. Most of the ducks were relatively close to shore so I did what I needed to do to get as close as possible to them. I’d take a few pictures then move a little closer, repeating as much as possible. In the end I got within 30 yards of the ducks on the river. That’s not very bad considering that these ducks are very wary.



While I was playing around with the ducks, I saw a Robin in a tree near me so I took a few pictures of him as well.



After about 2 hours of playing around here, I saw that it was time to move closer to home. I had to pick up my brother’s dog (Cousin Buddy the Chocolate Lab) around 11 am so that my brother and his family could go on vacation for a week. I drove to North Park to see what I could find there.

When I arrived at North Park I was surprised to find that there was still some ice left on the water of both lakes. I drove on to Marshall Lake which is one of my regular stops just to kill some time; I had a little over an hour left to play. I was quite pleased to get pictures of another Robin, an American Tree Sparrow and a Northern Mockingbird.

No comments: