Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Moraine State Park, November 1, 2008

The weather for the day was expected to be a little chilly but sunny. I was off work from both jobs so I decided to wake up bright and early to head to Moraine State Park. With the digiscoping equipment and a fishing rod in the back of the truck I was on my way.

I arrived at the waterfowl viewing platform near the Old 422 boat launch site about 15 minutes before sunrise. I had heard reports of a lone Tundra Swan being in the area the last few days and I held hopes that he was still around. I put together the digiscope and walked to the platform and what to my wondering eyes did appear??? Mr. Tundra Swan! He was mixed with a flock of maybe 70 Canada Geese, about 100 yards from the platform. I was able to get some pictures despite his need to constantly swim around. He stayed in the area for 20 minutes before flying off to find breakfast. With no suitable targets left here, I decided to check out a few new spots that I mapped out the evening before.



The first stop was the Route 528 boat launch. There wasn’t much to see here but I marked a waypoint on the GPS for future reference, this might be a good place to do some fishing next spring.

The second stop was the access area on Barkley Road, near the Mine Reclamation exhibit. This cove of the lake was very shallow with nothing to see. It might have some potential for the spring though.

The third stop was at the marinas along the North Shore. There was nothing of note at the Davis Hollow Marina but a little further on, at the Davis Hollow Public Launch was a collection of Ruddy Ducks and a Great Blue Heron.



The fourth and final stop for the day was at a little, secluded cove I found last spring. I was expecting some waterfowl to be in this area but I was wrong. Instead of digiscoping I grabbed the fishing rod and made a few casts. I was shortly reeling in a 1 ½ pound, 16 inch Largemouth Bass. It might not sound like a monster but on ultra light tackle it was a blast.

No comments: