Friday, April 11, 2008

The First Post

What is “Digiscoping”?
Digiscoping is the combined use of a spotting or terrestrial telescope and a digital camera for distance photography of wildlife. If you are familiar with SLR cameras, the equipment that I use gives me the rough equivalent of a 1200 -2400 mm lens.

I use a 60mm Nikon Fieldscope, a Nikon P3 digital camera and either a 24x or 40x eyepiece for the scope. The camera has a 3x zoom so then with the 24x eyepiece I get a maximum magnification of 72x (72 times closer image or 24x3) and with the 40x eyepiece I have a maximum magnification of 120x (40x3). Depending on the size of the animal that I’m photographing I can have the range of nearly ½ mile under the best conditions.



Picture from http://www.nikonusa.com/

About Me:
I’ve been digiscoping for about a year now and I can honestly say that I’m addicted to it. I’m always thinking of what kind of shot I can get when I see an animal. The main problem for me is finding the time to get out and get the pictures. You see, I work two jobs; the first is at a major research university and the second is at an outdoor outfitting store. It was at this store that I first discovered digiscoping. I’m based in Western Pennsylvania and concentrate on waterfowl but will take pictures of any animal that comes my way. I’d eventually like to have a collection of every type of waterfowl that resides or passes through Pennsylvania.

Equipment That I use:
I’ve already mentioned the digiscope outfit so here’s a list of the other equipment that goes with me on each outing:
-Alpen Teton 10x42 binoculars


picture from http://www.alpenoptics.com/









-Brunton Eterna 8x45 binoculars









picture from http://www.brunton.com/





-Realtree APG camouflage
-Merrell boots
-Native Eyewear
-Brunton tripod and head
-Manfrotto tripod
-Springfield Arms XD-40
-Garmin Etrex Legend Cx


About This Blog:
I’ll mainly be using this blog as a record of my digiscoping outings; however you never know what you will find on here: I could be recalling funny times from my past; I might be venting about the world today; I might talk about guns or the work that I do every day. You'll notice that the first several posts will be of the "Flashback" type where I'm catching up on the trips that I've made so far this year(2008). They'll be like that until I'm fully up to date.

The opinions expressed here are my own, yours may differ, I really don’t care because this is my little corner of the internet. Unless stated, the pictures displayed on this blog are my property and may not be duplicated in any way.

That's about all for now, on my next post I'll go over the last trip of 2007 or the first real trip that this blog will cover.

No comments: